Saturday, August 16, 2008

Love Malaysian Food



I love food. Any kind of food from the indigenous salty binaod, native to my hometown to spicy Indian/Bangladeshi food to western cuisine. Those tasty, mouth watering delicacies either sautéed, fried or steamed, just makes me glued to my seat to devour every bit of it. Not to forget pasta which I would love slurping and downing it with coke. In places which I visit, I make it a point to eat food native to the place. Should I visit Malaysia, I will look for satay, nasi remak, roti kanai and all those exotic delicacies I will indulge in.

I will s
tart with Satay. This delicious delicacy is marinated beef, mutton or chicken pierced in thin bamboo strips and cooked over slow fire. Seemingly, an Asian favorite which is also found in the Philippines, barbecued meat is a favorite in almost every place of the country. Its called barbecue though and I don’t know of any native name to it. While barbecue is served as a perfect appetizer for liquors, barbecue could also be served as a main dish during dinner or lunch. In Malaysia, satay is served with ketupat (rice cake) and cucumber, pineapple, and onions.

Ketupat is similar to the Patopat in my hometown north of the Philippines. It is sticky rice wrapped with banana leaves and serves as a side dish or a snack. Rendang is tender meat dish which blends perfectly with k
etupat. Rendang is cooked with coconut milk, chilis, onions and spices such as cinnamon, cloves, coriander and nutmeg over low heat. Mmmm, smells good.

Am a rice eater .Should I go to Malaysia, I will look for Nasi Lemak, rice cooked in coconut milk. Perfect for breakfast, nasi lemak is served with ikan bilis (anchovies), sambal, boiled egg, fried peanuts and cucumber slices.
A popular breakfast dish is Nasi Goreng, a complete meal of rice with meat, prawns, egg and vegetables.

As I said, I love food. I like bread, cakes, muffins and so with Roti Canai. Roti Canai is made of wheat-flour dough, beaten egg and diced onions for a crispier pancake. Roti sounds similar to the ruti of Bangladesh. I have good memories of eating ruti for breakfast in Bangladesh. Ruti is a mixture of flour and a dash of salt kneaded and cooked over slow fire. Coming off as a thin layer of soft crust , this sugarless ruti is perfect for breakfast served with fried eggs and diced potatoes mixed together.

Back to Malaysia, noodles are a favorite. I will take time to have a taste of Char Kway Teow, flat rice noodles stir-fried with minced garlic, fresh prawns, bean sprouts, cockles and eggs, seasoned with soy sauce and chili paste.Curry Laksa is also a noodle dish served in curry, blends boiled chicken, cockles, tofu and bean sprouts, I won't miss.

These delicacies come in simple, tasty and reasonably priced I can imagine. For the all- time traveler or the one time visitor, it’s a treat to be a gourmet in Malaysia.

Thanks to Quachee and a contest in his blog,
an opportunity to get me to Malaysia in the near future will definitely remind me to have a taste of of santay and ketupat.
Interested to join the contest, go here or know more about Quachee in his site: www.themalaysiapage.com


RELATED SOURCES

Turmeric to curry favour with

Malaysian cuisine

Rasamalaysia

No comments: